Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hollyhocks for Grandma


This card was created completely with a full heart. When I saw the image on McMahon Five's digital store, I knew it was meant for me. I grew up across the shelter belt from my Grandma and spent most of my free time, especially summers, with her. We'd listen to old showtunes and find some type of craft. Grandma was very resourceful and repurposed everyday items before it was the hip thing to do. My favorite pastime was making paper dolls with her. She could make the most detailed, elaborate chains which always amazed me. In the summer we'd have a Hollyhock Wedding. She taught me how to take a full holly hock bloom and a bud and piece them together with a toothpick to make a beautiful flower doll. We fill a small tray with water and the dolls would 'float'. My mom shared this tradition with me as well and I hope to have my own hollyhocks at our home one day. Scroll down to see a photo of one of the dolls and PLEASE leave a note if you're familiar with this crafty creation. I'd love to hear other's stories of the flower dolls. Oh yeah, my weddings were always just the girls. I guess the guys were out in the yard or something. :o)

The sentiment is meaningful as I miss both my parents terribly and Florida is a long way from Minnesota so I only get to visit Grandma once a year or so. I currently have the card propped up on my desk next to photos of my mom and dad. I do miss them so much.

Sketch Inspiration ~ 365 Cards Day 43 ~ White Space

Three generations of amazing crafty women. This photo was taken in 2007 (a few months after my mom's cancer diagnosis) when we visited Grandma in Florida. I'd venture to say blue is one of our favorite colors!

Here's one of the beautiful dolls. If you placed it just right there would be 2 eyes looking at you.

My Creation

Image Detail
Ins and Outs ~ Hollyhocks for Grandma
Stamps: McMahon Five Hollyhock Digi
Paper: SU Whisper White, DCWV, The Paper Studio

Ink: Laser Printer; Copics (RV000, 14, 21, 29; YG0000; G40, 82, 85); Spicas (Blossom, Pink); Gelly Roll Clear Star

Accessories: Ribbon Scrap

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful card, love the flowers. They look so real and soft. Thanks so much for going digi with us at Stamp Something this week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping! I am so inspired by the amazing crafty blogs out there and honored you took the time to visit my little corner of the world.

Kitty Kisses and Blessings ~ Cat Spicer