Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mary’s Birthday Fairy

I made this card for a very special woman in my life; my aunt (Mary, don't peek just watch the mail). I'm quite late for her birthday (she celebrated on May 2nd and it was kind of a significant one - don't worry, I won't spill the beans). I've always had a special relationship with her from attending her wedding when I was 3 months old, through today. We share a love for things silly and 'interesting' fashion. She moved to Florida 5 years ago and I joked that I'd need to visit often and inspect her closet for anything with a large floral print. It's only fitting my birthday fairy is sporting the popular Floridian fashion.

Sketch Inspiration ~ Mo’s Guest Design Team Call June Challenge
I fell in love with Mo Manning's artwork several months ago after I saw this image on a crafty blog. I had yet to dive into digi's and was thrilled to find it offered from Stampavie. Many of Mo's images are now available through Stamping Bella now; but I actually prefer the digis! They are more economical, can be sized for any project, don't take up much shelf space; I urge you to give them a try. I used the Mo's DT Call sketch for my card.

Color Inspiration ~ Stampavie Challenge #24 ~ Favorite Colors
Use a Stampavie image and your favorite colors. I'm into greens and blues right now and thought the coral-ey orange was a nice contrast.

Inspiration
I've always loved the OSCC blog and am still THRILLED to post this card as a just for fun entry. Next week's card will be as a Design Team member! This week's challenge is to be inspired by birthstones. Mine is the Diamond and I wanted to pay homage to the sparkly gem, but not go the white route. Instead I added about as much bling as I could .
One Stop Craft Challenges #81 ~ Birthstones
Charisma Cardz #20 ~ 3D
Mo’s Digital Pencil Challenge #32 ~ What’s Love Got to Do With It
This isn't a typical romantic love card, instead it's for the special love between an aunt and niece.
Crafty Creations Challenge #68 ~ Encouragement or Celebration
Flutter By Wednesday #110 ~ Flowers
My Creation

Image Detail
As if all the rhinestones weren't enough, I liberally used Spica pens to add more shimmer and glitz. The fairy's dress is paper pieced.
Inside
My aunt is going to chuckle over the pudgy fairy on the front and again with the sentiment. Mostly because I'll add a smart aleck comment about how at her age any moment she can remember is magical! We often joke about our forgetfulness. If I gave her a serious card, she wouldn't know what to make of it.

Ins and Outs ~ Mary’s Birthday Fairy
Stamps: Fairy (Mo Manning Stampavie)
Paper: DCWV Metallic, SU Whisper White and unknown scraps

Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Copics (E15, 21, 50; B000, 00; BG05; R000, 02; YG0000; Y21), Spicas (Gold, Red), Red Brush Marker, Clear Star Jelly Roll Pen

Accessories: Creative Imaginations Sticker, Colorbok Vellum Sentiment, SU Ribbon, Darice Gems, Nesties

Techniques: Paper Piecing

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Creations Challenge with your great work!! Good luck!

    Greetings, Saskia
    (Guest Designer)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very beautiful card.

    Thank you for joining us at Charisma - good luck!

    I also have candy on my blog, 3 Magnolia Fairytale Stamps if you would like to enter, here is the link.

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely card, lovely image & colours, good luck. Thank you for joining us at OSCC this week. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful coloring! Glad you posted your card so we can see....
    Angela xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there Spice Cat ;)
    Great card, excited to be on the new DT with you too.

    Have a great day!
    --Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful card. Your image is coloured beautifully and I love the sentiment. Thanks for joining us at Charisma. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is fabulous I love that image and your colours are just so beautiful I love it.
    Hugs
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  8. How creative! I love the paper-piecing with the little beads. Thanks for taking part in Mo's Challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have created very beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thrilled to receive this wonderful card and it was still MAY! I knew it was a work of art the moment I saw it and now that I know all the steps that went into it, I'm even more impressed. She's become my sewing room fairy and sits on the shelf where I can see her everyday! Thanks Kiddo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping! I am so inspired by the amazing crafty blogs out there and honored you took the time to visit my little corner of the world.

Kitty Kisses and Blessings ~ Cat Spicer